Monday, June 27, 2011

Remicade Infusion

IV Access
Yesterday a training hike on the CT and today a visit to Memorial Hospital for my Crohn's Disease medication.

http://www.ccfa.org/

 REMICADE was the first anti-TNF-alpha treatment approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), when it was indicated for the treatment of acute moderate to severe Crohn’s disease in August of 1998.  
I had my 1st infusion in December of that same year.  Every six weeks I pay a visit to one of the best nurses at Memorial Hospital, Paulette.  She was there for my first infusion and still stars my IV every time...she never misses a vein.  After Dorian, another wonderful nurse, checks me in and takes my vitals, then Paulette stats the IV access.  This process takes about an hour then the medication is pumped in over the course of two hours while I sleep, watch TV or play Mafia Wars on my laptop.  You're the best Paulette!  Thanks for taking good care of me for all those years.
Just a side note:  I've had Crohn's Disease for 40 plus years, that's why I run and hike and enjoy the outdoors....I won't let this disease control my life.  I have been a guinea pig to more medication than I care to remember, but at this point I'm only on Remicade.  I also received a medical discharge from the Army in 1973.

1 comment:

  1. I love this line: "that's why I run and hike and enjoy the outdoors....I won't let this disease control my life." I try to think of something similar every time I want to quit or give up during a workout. There are people who would love to be able to run, even people who would kill to just walk! I try to look at it as a gift and enjoy every minute. Good luck and be safe!

    ReplyDelete